Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Union Station, 1956

Posted on July 31, 2014 | in Uncategorized | by
Lexington's Union Station was opened with great fanfare on August 4, 1907, with the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Passenger Train #24.  A crowd estimated at three thousand was on hand to meet the train. The terminal fronted on Main Street, just west of Walnut St, now Martin Luther King Blvd. The exterior was built with red and yellow brick, with green and red glass.  The lobby was located in the center rotunda (fifty by eighty feet, with a central dome fifty feet high), with a Roman arch ceiling and six oak waiting benches. This photograph was published in the Lexington Herald July 25, 1956 when it was announced that the C&O Railway Company was moving out of Union Station. On May 9, 1957, the last passenger train (the Chesapeake & OhioÕs George Washington) departed from this facility.  The station was closed due to high operating overhead and low passenger travel. In March 1960, the building was demolished.

On May 9, 1956, the day this photo was published, it was announced that the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Co. was moving out of Lexington’s Union Station. On May 9, 1957, the last passenger train (the George Washington) departed from the station. Union Station was closed because of high operating overhead and low passenger travel. It had opened with great fanfare on Aug. 4, 1907, with the arrival of C&O passenger train No. 24. A crowd estimated at 3,000 met the train. The terminal fronted Main Street, just west of Walnut Street, which has been renamed Martin Luther King Boulevard. The exterior was built with red and yellow brick, and green and red glass. The lobby was in the center rotunda, which was 50 by 80 feet, with a central dome 50 feet high. The lobby had a Roman arch ceiling and six oak waiting benches. In March 1960, the building was demolished.

TAGS: , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive