Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Phoenix Hotel addition, 1951

Posted on January 27, 2016 | in Uncategorized | by
Three to four feet of water collected in the basement site of what was to become the Phoenix Hotel's new nine story addition at the corner of Main Street and Limestone in January 1951. The addition replaces the hotel's old four-story section at the corner of Main and Limestone. This view is from Vine Street  looking back toward Main Street. Businesses shown on Main Street, from left to right, include, at 103 East Main, the White Spot Restaurant,105 East Main, Roberts Credit Jewelers, 109 East Main, Phillips Shoe Company, then starting at 113 East Main is the Ben Synder departmentr store. Published in the Lexington Herald January 5, 1951. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

Three to four feet of water collected in the basement site of what was to become the Phoenix Hotel’s new nine-story addition at of Main Street and Limestone in January 1951. The addition replaced the hotel’s old four-story section on that site. This view is from Vine Street looking toward Main Street. Businesses shown on Main Street, from left to right, include the White Spot Restaurant at 103 East Main, Roberts Credit Jewelers at 105 East Main, Phillips Shoe Co. at 109 East Main, and the Ben Snyder department store at 113 East Main. Published in the Lexington Herald on Jan. 5, 1951. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive