Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Christmas shoppers at S.S. Kresge, 1948

Posted on December 14, 2016 | in Uncategorized | by
A crowd of Christmas shoppers filled the S. S. Kresge Store in downtown Lexington on December 9, 1948. S.S. Kresge, a Detroit, Michigan company, brought their 5 and 10 cent stores to Lexington in 1912. The downtown store was at  250  West Main Street, across from Cheapside Park. The store closed in 1967 and is now the site of the Lexington Financial Center, more commonly known as the “Big Blue Building.” The S.S. Kresge Co. was renamed Kmart Corp. in 1977.

Christmas shoppers filled the S.S. Kresge store in downtown Lexington on Dec. 9, 1948. S.S. Kresge, a Detroit-based company, brought its 5 and 10 cent stores to Lexington in 1912. The downtown store was at 250 West Main Street, across from Cheapside Park. The store closed in 1967 and is now the site of the Lexington Financial Center, more commonly known as the “Big Blue Building.” The S.S. Kresge Co. was renamed Kmart Corp. in 1977. Click here to see another photo from the store, this time of people shopping for Valentines. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive