Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Spring House Bar, 1968

Posted on April 9, 2018 | in Uncategorized | by

The Spring House Bar at the corner of Main and Spring Streets photographed in November 1968. Spring Street, foreground, intersected with West Main Street at what is now Lexington Center’s Heritage Hall, across from Algonquin Street. The building, built in 1791 and believed to be the first brick building in Lexington, had just been sold to the Urban Renewal Agency which planned to raze it for redevelopment. The two-story structure was originally built as a residence by a William Prothero. At one time it was the home of Thomas Harris Barlow, an inventor, who moved to Lexington in 1824 and operated a foundry and machine shop. It later became the Sign of the Cross Keys Tavern. The building was sold by Mr. and Mrs. J. Frank Grimes and Mr. and Mrs John A. Patton for $42,720. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive