Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

First neighborhood movie theater, 1949

Posted on May 15, 2018 | in Uncategorized | by

The Ashland, Lexington’s first neighborhood theater had it’s formal opening June 8, 1949. The theater, at 815 Euclid Avenue in Chevy Chase, was billed as being fireproof and air-conditioned. It had 600 seats and featured an all female staff, ushers, ticket takers and cashiers, when it opened. Joseph Neiser was the manager and was operated by the Greater Lexington Theaters, Inc., an affiliate of the Midstates Theaters, Inc., of Cincinnati. Midstates converted the theater into a twin cinema in October 1981. It closed in 1985. In 1986 the former theater opened as the posh supper club Bugatti’s. It closed in less than a year and reopened in 1988 as Streamers, a dance club. Then came J.D.’s which was followed by the Blue Moon Oldies Saloon which opened in 1992, also known as the Blue Moon Saloon. It was followed by The Art Bar and in 2016 the structure was razed to make way for the Bear & The Butcher restaurant and Bar. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive