Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

The Springs tourist court, 1949

Posted on June 10, 2018 | in Uncategorized | by

The Springs, a new tourist court, on Harrodsburg Pike as seen in June 1949. Click on the image for a closer look. It opened in 1948 with 68 rooms and became known as the Springs Motel. Across the two-lane road from the motel was a farm that would later become Turfland Mall. Even as newer hotels and motels were built, because of its proximity to Keeneland, the Springs remained popular with people in the horse industry when they came to town. The dining room was popular for its hot Browns, prime rib, fried chicken and Southern-style green beans. It was renamed the Springs Inn in the 1980s, and it closed on Nov. 23, 2008. The landmark motel was razed the next year. A CVS drugstore, a McDonald’s and a Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers restaurant were built on the site. Click here to see an aerial photo of the motel in 1962 and here to one of the sign from the road in 1985. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive