Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Meyer and Hinkle store construction, 1950

Posted on June 29, 2018 | in Uncategorized | by

Spectators watched the excavation at Main and Walnut streets for the new Meyer and Hinkle store building in April 1950. The women’s speciality store was moving from the Phoenix hotel annex, which was to be razed as part of the hotel’s building plans, for approximately 25 years. The business was organized as a corporation in 1921 by Edward M. Meyer and Ed Hinkle. Hinkle’s interests were purchased in 1933 by Meyer and the store became a family partnership. Construction of the $100,000 building at Main and Walnut was to be completed by September 1. The one-story structure was to be 45 feet wide and 120 feet long with an exterior of limestone, granite and brick. The entrance was to be on Main Street. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive