On May 9, 1956, the day this photo was published, it was announced that the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Co. was moving out of Lexington’s Union Station. On May 9, 1957, the last passenger train (the George Washington) departed from the station. Union Station was closed because of high operating overhead and low passenger travel. It had opened with great fanfare on Aug. 4, 1907, with the arrival of C&O passenger train No. 24. A crowd estimated at 3,000 met the train. The terminal fronted Main Street, just west of Walnut Street, which has been renamed Martin Luther King Boulevard. The exterior was built with red and yellow brick, and green and red glass. The lobby was in the center rotunda, which was 50 by 80 feet, with a central dome 50 feet high. The lobby had a Roman arch ceiling and six oak waiting benches. In March 1960, the building was demolished.