Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Fishing at Lake Ellerslie, 1949

Lake Ellerslie fishing club members Susie Perkins and Mae Alexander displayed strings of fish they caught at the lake, which is owned by the Lexington Water Company, on Richmond Road in April 1949. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , | Comments

Henry Clay relay team, 1982

Henry Clay High School’s boys relay team was featured in a city high school track preview in April 1982. Shown here are, from left, Allen Franklin, Ron Chestnut, Chris Chenault and Phil Chenault. The Class 3A, 6th Region track meet will be held today at Henry. Photo by John C. Wyatt | Staff

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | Comments

Paris Pike, 1989

A view of Paris Pike just inside the Fayette County line looking toward Lexington in August 1989. At the time Gov. Wallace Wilkinson had pledged to widen the road from two lanes to four lanes, prompting strong debate on both sides of the issue. The proposal pitted horse farm owners, environmentalists and historic preservationists against motorists, developers and the families of the road’s accident victims. Traffic accidents on the 14-stetch of road between Lexington and Paris, had killed at least 44 people in the previous 30 years. It wasn’t until 1997 that the widening project began and was completed in 2003. Photo by Ron Garrison | Staff

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | Comments

Central Park, 1984

What is now Phoenix Park at the corner of Main Street and Limestone, was originally called Central Park, seen here in October 1984. It was built on the former site of the Phoenix Hotel, which was demolished in 1981. The Lexington Public Library would later be built just to the right of the park, opening it’s doors in April 1989. The Robert F. Stephens Courthouse Plaza and Fayette Circuit and District court houses now occupy the block just north of Main Street. Photo by Tom Woods II | Staff

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Comments

Bluegrass-Aspendale housing project, 2005

Aerial view of the Bluegrass-Aspendale public housing project on the east side of Lexington in October 2005. The intersection of Midland Ave., East Third and Winchester Roads is at the bottom right of the photo. The development was built in stages between 1936 and 1951 and was Lexington’s first venture into public housing. It was segregated initially and wasn’t until 1974 that a 300 yard fence was torn down. The complex had 963 units at it’s peak and around 1990 the Lexington Housing Authority began to thin out the neighborhood by demolishing 295 units. In October 2005 they received a federal grant to demolish the remainder of the structures, which can be seen in this photograph. The site was then redeveloped with single family homes and apartments and the addition of William Wells Brown elementary school. David Stephenson | Staff

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | Comments

Tobacco warehouse demolition, 1994

Brad Brierly separated salvageable boards from scrap during demolition of Farmers Pride Tobacco Warehouse on Simpson Avenue April 19, 1994. The warehouse was being torn down to make way for Campus Downs Condominiums. Photo by David Perry | Staff

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | Comments

Clerks waiting to sell driver licenses, 1959

In July 1959 clerks at the Fayette County courthouse waited to sell driver licenses for person whose last names started with letter L through Z. The clerks were, seated from left, Barbara Smith, Margaret Marquis and Doris Lindsey. Standing were Gladys V. Bryant and Bill Marquis. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | Comments

Darnall General Hospital, 1944

Patients, attendants and nurses took part in an informal jam session in July 1944 at the Darnall General Hospital near Danville, Ky. At the time the photo was taken the hospital was operated by the United States Army as a psychiatric hospital. After the war the facility was sold to the state and became a State Mental Hospital. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , | Comments

Jug band at Churchill Downs, 1949

With today’s running of the 144th Kentucky Derby a few hours away, we take a look back to a scene at Churchill Downs before the 75th run for the roses, May 7, 1949. A jug band of entertained race patrons outside the entrance to the track. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | Comments

Whitney Derby Eve party, 1984

For many years there were two popular Kentucky Derby Eve parties in Lexington, one thrown by Anita Madden at Hamburg Place and this one, by C.V. and Marylou Whitney at their farm on Bryan Station Road. May 4, 1984 found , from left, Arlene Francis, Hope Lange, Marylou Whitney and C.V. Whitney, greeting guests. Photo by David Perry | Staff

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive